Monday, June 27, 2011

Free agents for first base and outfield

I recently pointed out the Cubs are most likely to pursue someone for right field and first base.

First basemen
Lance Berkman (36)
Russell Branyan (36)
Jorge Cantu (30)
Michael Cuddyer (33)
Prince Fielder (28)
Ross Gload (36)
Brad Hawpe (33)
Eric Hinske (34) - $1.5MM club option with a $100K buyout
Nick Johnson (33)
Casey Kotchman (29)
Mark Kotsay (36)
Derrek Lee (36)
Xavier Nady (33)
Lyle Overbay (35)
Carlos Pena (34)
Albert Pujols (32)

I boldened the guys I like Most. Pujols and Fielder are good but Fielder is a terrible fielder and will probably be a DH in the American league. Pujols is just too pricey. My favorite option would probably just be to bring Pena back, but I'd also be happy with Berkman if he's cheap or Derrek Lee if he shows something in the second half of this season.

I thought about an upgrade at second base but I don't see any upgrade over Baker/Dewitt/Barney that's worth it.

Here's an abbreviated outfield list, I'm leaving off most names that I think are irrelevant.

Johnny Damon (37)
Conor Jackson (30)
Reed Johnson (35)
Josh Willingham (33)
Carlos Beltran (35)
Coco Crisp (32)
Cody Ross (31)
Grady Sizemore (29) - $8.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
David DeJesus (32)
J.D. Drew (36)
Jeff Francoeur (28)
Kosuke Fukudome (35)
WCody Ross (31)

I don't approave of everyone on this list but I included all justifiable names.

A return of the platoon of Fukudome or Reed Johnson would be fine, or Francoeur can also mash lefties. My favorite would be Coco Crisp, and move Byrd to right. Beltran only if it's a short deal, 3 years max. I also love David Dejesus. Sizemore is also intriguing if he's actually available.

No comments:

Post a Comment